Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week 9 Picks

Yep, another week of picks and another late post by yours truly. I am probably going to have to do a more abbreviated version of the picks each week. Life, work and three kids make it tough at times to get a good long post out. Back in the day doing really good analytical picks was my thing but now there are obviously a LOT more people doing it with a LOT more time on their hands than I do. My main focus for this blog is commentary anyway regardless of it's perceived worth. For really good Auburn game previews you can go to WarBlogEagle or Track'em. However I still like to weigh in on the games each week. Last week I went 5-0 in games against BCS competition to go 29-8 for the season.

Ole Miss at Auburn - "The Navy Nightmare"
Yes it is finally here, "The Navy Nightmare" as dubbed by our beloved current AD Jay Jacobs. It should be quite a day on the plains. Three bad games in a row, the good ol' 11:30 kickoff and the chance of rain at 100%. I want to give some big props to the Auburn fans who travel a long way for this one. This one is pretty easy to break down. I can't really think of any reason Auburn would have a chance in this game except one. The one chance is this is Ole Miss. They have a pretty good football team but I don't think this would be an upset for the ages.

Other than that though it doesn't look too good. I think I have covered the Chris Todd factor the last two weeks. Once again, if he can get lucky and hit a few down field passes, our offense will show some life. If he does not then we will look like the last 3 weeks. Ole Miss has a pretty good defense so I don't think we will run all over them. On the other side of the ball, Ole Miss has looked better in recent weeks with Dexter McCluster stepping to the forefront. Jevan Snead has also played better of late. Also for those paying attention the Auburn game is when Ole Miss really caught fire last year (and for the record Kodi Burns had 300 yards passing against the Rebels last year). I expect the Auburn defense to play hard and look good at times but unfortunately I also expect them to give up some big plays.

There is no way around it that I see... OLE MISS OVER AUBURN

Georgia at Florida (in Jacksonville, FL)
Once a season you have to go WAY out on a limb and pick the upset of the year. I don't think Tim Tebow will let it happen but Florida has looked ripe for an upset and barely avoided one for weeks. Meanwhile, everyone has completely given up on Georgia. They definitely have their warts but they still have a lot of good players on both sides of the ball and they have played a tough schedule. It is a long shot (and given the way Florida will get a couple of absolutely gift calls it is probably even longer) but I will go with the upset today...
GEORGIA OVER FLORIDA

Elsewhere I will go with...
TENNESSEE OVER SOUTH CAROLINA
MISS ST OVER KENTUCKY
GEORGIA TECH OVER VANDY
LSU OVER TULANE
ARKANSAS OVER EASTERN MICHIGAN

BAMA IS OPEN THIS WEEK

No comments:

Post a Comment