Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 6 Picks

Is Superman out for the game against LSU?

One of the biggest football weekends on the year and I am battling a cold and other issues this week. Good grief. I went 3-2 last week and am 17-6 for the season. Well I am down to the last minute so let's hit it...

Auburn at Arkansas...
The Gus Malzahn show rolls into Fayettville for what promises to be the best Auburn/Arkansas game EVER. This series has not provided many great games since it became regular in 1992. There have been a few like when Arkansas won the SEC West in 1995 by beating Auburn in a game where they were up 27-0 and then won the game 30-28. Auburn won a couple of defensive struggles in 2003 (10-3) and 2007 (9-7). In between those games were a lot of routs by both teams.

Like I said though, this year should provide the best game ever in the series. This game is a near guaranteed SHOOTOUT. Bobby Petrino vs. Gus Malzahn. The former Auburn OC vs. the former Ark OC. This is a tough pick because I think Ryan Mallett is a great QB but I think Auburn's defense might have a few more playmakers. Auburn is 5-0 while Arkansas got a big win on the road against Texas A&M last week. I think Auburn is the clear favorite but Arkansas is going to get a big SEC win sometime this year. Looking at their schedule, this is their last big game at home. I admitted Auburn proved something last week against UT however it is still not enough for me to truly believe in this team. All I have read is everyone already counting this game as a win. I just can't get there yet.
ARKANSAS OVER AUBURN

Florida at LSU...
Will he play? That is the single question that has hovered over all of college football this week. My answer is NO he will not play. He has not practiced, I can't believe any doctor will say he is 100%, the potential blowback against Meyer and Florida if he got hurt again, etc... I just don't think it is going to happen. I think Urban Meyer will rely on his vaunted defense and some smart conservative offensive play.

Les "The Hat" Miles meanwhile pulled another one out last week against Georgia. Has anybody pulled out many more unbelievable finishes than this guy? The win was a big one on the road against a decent Georgia team. It definitely might help LSU start playing more like they were expected to because before the Georgia game they were not. The LSU defense played their best game of the season last week but the offense is still not clicking. They made some big plays including the game-winning run by Charles Scott but they still just do not look that good. I think OC Gary Crowton is making a mistake by not moving LSU's "hybrid" offense more toward the pro-style side than the spread side. He has the biggest most powerful RB in the SEC in Charles Scott and they are just not getting the ball to the guy enough or using him correctly.

I think this game will be close if Tebow is out because Meyer will play it conservative but I think the Gators will get it done.
FLORIDA OVER LSU

Bama at Ole Miss...
What is the point of wasting any time talking or typing about this game? The Bama vs. Ole Miss series record is... Bama 49-9-2. If you don't count NCAA-mandated forfeits Ole Miss has beaten Bama twice since the SEC went to divisions in 1992 and those wins were against bad Bama teams in 2001 and 2003 and Eli Manning was the Mrs QB. Has Ole Miss EVER beaten a good Bama team? NEVER. This Bama team is #3 in the country and is on a 17 game regular season winning streak. Uh hmmm... I think I will go with...
BAMA OVER OLE MISS

Georgia at Tennessee...
Georgia has already had an up-and-down season and we are only 5 games in. They have their weaknesses but to use a tennis analogy they are "match tough" meaning they have played a lot of tough games and been in some tough battles. Meanwhile as I wrote in the previous post UT does not have a QB and looks badly coached on offense. They seem determined to call plays ignoring the fact they can only be good as a power running team. They do have a good defense and that should slow Georgia down like it did Auburn last week however I don't see how this UT offense can score enough points to win. I don't think it will be a blowout but I do think...
GEORGIA OVER TENNESSEE

In the rest of the action...
SOUTH CAROLINA OVER KENTUCKY
HOUSTON OVER MISS ST
VANDY OVER ARMY

No comments:

Post a Comment