Sunday, September 17, 2017

Game 3 Review: Hangover

Auburn 24  Mercer 10.  There was obviously going to be a hangover after that awful Clemson loss but this one was worse than usual.  However shockingly I do not come to bury Gus this week (even though he still deserves it) but to say that this game was actually the most positive game I have seen in I do not know how long.  SOMETHING ACTUALLY CHANGED.  I have been nauseated by the constant talk of who is calling plays this season and last.  I mean if you are using same playbook and same run/pass ratio IT DOES NOT MATTER who is calling the plays.  However finally something actually changed yesterday and it was the run/pass ratio.
 
I have watched every single game of the Gus Malzahn era as I have seen or listened to just about every Auburn game since the late 1970s.  I believe I can safely say Malzahn has never thrown over 30 passes in a low-tier non-conference game and has never thrown over 30 passes in any game that Auburn was not behind in except the 2014 Iron Bowl.  That in-and-of itself made me happy.  I remarked to a friend this week that watching Auburn under Malzahn is like watching the same movie 40 times.  You know how every game is going to go and the exact run/pass ratio.  Finally FINALLY I cannot say that about yesterday's game!!!
 
THE GOOD
Of course I have to mention the defense first.  I still think this Auburn defense like last season is susceptible to a good passing team but luckily for Auburn there are not many of those in the SEC.  With that said, I was impressed with Mercer.  I thought they were a good well-coached team.  I thought they did a great job the entire game.  They are inferior to Auburn but you keep giving them turnovers like Auburn did and any defense could give up some big plays.  Auburn did not and held the Bear offense under 300 yards just like the last two games.
 
Next again a GUS MALZAHN TEAM THREW THE BALL 37 TIMES IN A GAME AGAINST MERCER (!!!!!!).  I am telling you THAT in and of itself is amazing regardless of how bad everything was in the game yesterday.  First though if we are that terrified of our head coach calling plays then should he be head coach?  With that said, yesterday's game has been the first and only indication that Malzahn has allowed another person to change our offense.  Yes a lot of those pass plays were basically running plays but Stidham still threw downfield a good bit.  I know we still have a bunch of offensive problems but I have to rejoice in this actual change in philosophy.
 
THE BAD
The worst part about yesterday's game was seeing offensive tackle Darius James injured and carted off the field.  Our prayers here are with him and his family.  I sure hope he is OK along with the referee that was hurt in the game as well.  I hope the Auburn athletics department has the character to give the Auburn family a true report on him when it is OK with his family and not play games in a situation like this.  I know most Auburn fans remember Zac Etheridge whenever they see a player carted off the field.  We remember that it is not always precautionary and the player could really be hurt bad.  I know I take these times much more seriously after that day in 2010.
 
The rest of the bad was obviously not near as important as a player health.  It consisted of new and old problems on offense.  A new problem was the turnover bugaboo.  I mean WOW.  Auburn had four fumbles lost and an interception.  The old problems were Stidham holding the ball too long and the wide receivers not getting open when they were not fumbling.  I am sorry I love Kodi Burns.  He is good guy and an Auburn man but he is completely unqualified to be wide receiver coach at this level and was only hired because of his relationship with Malzahn.  I hate it but we really need an experienced wide receivers coach.
 
THE UGLY
The Southeastern Conference STINKS.  Bama should really get some checkmarks against them for their pathetically easy schedule.  I think the SEC is the worst of the Power 5 conferences.  The top three in every other conference are way better than the SEC.  There is Bama and... nobody.  The SEC is terrible.  Look at the evidence... we have seen Auburn struggle the last two weeks.  The other top team in the conference was supposed to be LSU who got run off the field by Mississippi State last night.  Congrats to the Bulldogs but I still do not think they are a powerhouse either.
 
The rest of the conference continues to get beat by the other Power 5 conferences as well.  We have already seen Michigan crush Florida, TCU stomp Arkansas and the UCLA team that got beat by Memphis yesterday beat Texas A&M.  The Aggies have also struggled the last two weeks against inferior opponents.  Purdue crushed Missouri yesterday (Purdue?) and Cal took down Ole Miss.  Vandy did upset Kansas State and there have been a few big wins in previous weeks like Georgia over Notre Dame but overall it is obvious that the SEC is just not very good.  It of course will not matter as the national media love worshipping at $aban's throne but it should.
 
THE LAST WORD
It is truly gut wrenching to see how bad Auburn has played on offense because like I wrote in my preseason post the opportunity is there.  Auburn has the players and the schedule to still make a real run at the conference championship.  I like Auburn over Missouri and Ole Miss and still like the Tigers over State at home.  I think Auburn will lose at LSU because historically that is what always happens but as I keep saying over and over LSU quarterback Danny Etling gives every team a chance against the Bayou Tigers.  He was awful in another big game last night at Mississippi State.  Road trips to Fayetteville and College Station will be tough for Auburn no matter how bad those teams look but the Tigers should be favored in both. 
 
Auburn then has top rivals Georgia and Bama at home.  On top of that I still like Stidham and the wide receiver talent a lot.  I love our defense and again I think throwing 37 passes last night is the most positive thing I have seen from the offense in years.  The problems are of course the offensive coaching, these guys are what they are.  I am not sure how much we can improve and to make it worse it is obvious Kamryn Pettway is hurt.  I hear he has plantar fasciitis and I know that injury well.  It does not heal quickly.  Auburn is in a bit of trouble with Kerryon out for a long time and Pettway hobbled especially when the coaches decided not to give ONE other running back a SINGLE carry (???).  I just do not understand why the coaches will not use Kam Martin more.  It is very possible the season could come to rest on his shoulders.


No comments:

Post a Comment