Saturday, November 27, 2021

GAME 12 REVIEW: The most excruciating game I have ever watched

Alabama 24  Auburn 22.  You will have to excuse me, I did not make up that title to be funny, that was actually the most excruciating game I have ever watched.  I do not want to relive it or sum it up or really talk about it anymore.  Instead I will just give ten thoughts I had about the game.  Again I am sorry that is all I got or will have.  If you saw the game you are well aware of what happened.  As opposed to other games I just do not have any opinions on the short or long term effects of this game.  Here we go in no particular order:

1. I was absolutely completely utterly wrong about everything I said about this game.  I am glad but I sure spouted my opinion on how I thought the game would go, i.e. historic Bama blow out, and I was dead wrong.  Great job Auburn coaches and players.

2. That was the greatest defensive performance by a unit compared to their talent level I have ever seen in my life.  The Auburn defense, players and coaches, literally played and coached the best they possibly could.  I have never been more proud of a group of football players in my life.  Everybody will say how terrible Bama is but they have a great offense and it was an unbelievable effort by the Auburn defense to shut them down the majority of the game.

3. Special props to Roger McCreary who might have played the greatest game by a defensive back I have ever seen at Auburn.  He also made himself some money as I think his NFL draft status will skyrocket after that game.

3. It was also an unbelievable effort by the Auburn special teams especially punter Oscar Chapman.  His punting was one of the main reasons Auburn almost won the game.  The kick coverage was also lights out.  Finally back up kicker Ben Patton hit a mega pressure 49 yard field goal in overtime.

4. I am also proud of a gutty Auburn offense.  T.J. Finley played on one leg most of the game, Tank Bigsby gave it everything he had, the receivers made some great catches, and the offensive line hung in there trying to block for predictable plays and stacked fronts most of the game. 

5. I congratulate the Auburn coaches.  The team was very well prepared to play a physical tough four quarter game when everyone and especially me expected them to fold.  It does make me a little upset wondering where this effort was the last two weeks but I still have recognize the great coaching job. 

6. Seeing how the game was going I would have run up the middle three times and got my field goal after Auburn intercepted Bama quarterback Bryce Young and got to the Bama 20 yard line in the third quarter.  You absolutely cannot take a big sack there and miss out on a field goal attempt.  T.J. Finley made a huge mistake there.  It is one more thing that cost Auburn the win.

7. Tank Bigsby absolutely cannot go out of bounds when Auburn was trying to run out clock late.  I am sorry, there is just no excuse.  You cannot do that, you cannot do that, you cannot do that.  I hate to say it but Auburn also might have won if he just would have stayed in bounds.

8. You have to send the house and sell out on short coverage on 4th and 7 on Bama's final regulation drive to tie the game.  You have one play to win the game.   It does not matter if they luck out and score.  You have to completely sell out on that play.  You get the game down to one play on 4th and 7 to win it you have to completely sell out to stop them.  This was the one huge mistake by the defensive coaches.

9. I think you had to go for two to win the game after Auburn scored in overtime.  The actual ending we got was pretty much guaranteed if you played it like Auburn decided to play it.  Again, you get the game down to one play from the three yard line to win it.  I think with the monstrous talent gap between the teams and the way Auburn looked you had to go for the win right there.  I believe that was proven right.  No guts, no glory.

10. There are no moral victories.  Auburn did make an incredible effort and had the chances above to beat a much better team for an absolute one-for-the-ages type of win.  It would have been the biggest upset in Iron Bowl history in my opinion.  However it did not happen.  I am proud of Auburn's unbelievable and very courageous effort but at the end of the day it was still a loss.  I neither care to dwell on it or remember it.  The best thing I can see coming out of the game is a recruiting boost.  The effort by the Auburn fans in that stadium was outstanding.  There has got to be some top recruits who want to be a part of that.  

Finally, congrats to Bama, they played about the worst game they could possibly play and still won the game.  Bryce Young is the best quarterback I have seen all year and he made an unbelievable throw to tie the game.  The season is over and I could care less about a bowl game.  The only thing every single person that is part of the Auburn football program should be focusing on and working as hard as the team did in that game is on recruiting.  RECRUITING IS EVERYTHING.  I hope it improves dramatically.  That is all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment