Sunday, November 18, 2018

Game 11 Review: Give Me Liberty...

Auburn 53  Liberty 0.  The famous quote from Patrick Henry rings true for the current Auburn football team as well except with one change: "Give me Liberty AND give me death!".  Auburn got Liberty this week but gets death this coming Saturday in the form of a road trip to Tuscaloosa for a likely beatdown from the Crimson Tide.  The bandwagon masses will then rejoice.  My gosh it is literally the easiest thing in the world to be a Bama fan.  Their are so many pathetic hangers-on that they could fill a million band wagons.  I mean I am not sure how many cars and trucks I have seen with four flags waving and the back of the car plastered in Bama bumper stickers.  I mean come on, is all that really necessary?  Do we really need FOUR flags?  Do we really need SIX bumper stickers?

They will all be in their full glory this week.  They will get Auburn and they will probably win the rest but oh my gosh it will be pretty funny if they do not.  Bama teams have to win everything or they are forgotten as complete losers and if for whatever reason they get upset then Tua-mania will be forgotten and filed away in the trash.  It is sad that Bama was able to sneak in the back door of the college football playoffs again last year after not winning ANYTHING in the regular season and getting beat down by Auburn.  It minimized the fact that Auburn beat Bama bad last season.  All I can say is I would not be as happy with a supposed national championship if I could not even win my own division or beat my biggest rival.

Back to Auburn and Senior Day on the plains...  I am always happy to see these guys have a good day in their final home game.  Kudos to these Auburn seniors who have sacrificed so much for this program through the good and the bad.  On offense, senior Ryan Davis is now the new record holder for most receptions in a career at Auburn.  He was one of the biggest reasons Auburn was able to beat Georgia and Bama last season.  The Tigers will certainly miss Chandler Cox next season.  He had a tough time filling Jay Prosch's shoes early on but really came into his own and has been a big factor in Auburn success running the ball the last four years. 

On defense, I will miss DeShaun Davis.  I know the defense stumbled at times this season but he has been a really good player and I know he has given it his all.  The same goes for linebackers Darrell Williams and Montavious Atkinson.  Auburn went so many years without good linebackers till these guys came along.  The Tiger defense will also miss Dontavius Russell and Andrew Williams.  These guys have helped hold the line for awhile now at Auburn.  Kudos as well to all the lesser known seniors who have toiled in obscurity and made the team better.  That group of guys in each class make a bigger impact than anybody thinks. 

Auburn will as always have a few leaving early led by defensive tackle Derrick Brown and probably defensive end Marlon Davidson as well.  These guys are beasts and I think they will play on Sundays for awhile.  I am still mystified as to how our defense faltered so badly at times this season.  You look at these guys again and I just do not understand it.  I guess the only other underclassmen that will probably leave early is Jarrett Stidham.  I still believe he is one of the most talented players at quarterback Auburn has ever had but alas he was rendered ineffective this season by a monstrous drop in talent and the predictable Malzahn offense.  I cannot see him going very high in the NFL draft but I cannot see him coming back for another year of this at Auburn.

Any way best of luck to the graduating Auburn seniors and any juniors that leave.  They did have some great times and big wins during their career.  I think the mood next season will be a bit more somber during this game as I believe Auburn will be fighting for a bowl berth in this spot next season against Samford.  I do not know what to say about next week.  It will be horrible, I am really not looking forward to it.  I guess I could do what Bama fans do when they lose and talk about how Georgia (they say Tennessee) is our real rival and the Iron Bowl is not even that important.  However I will not do that.  I will keep it real.  It will hurt and I will admit it unlike Bama fans when Auburn beat them soundly last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment