Monday, January 1, 2018

2018 Peach Bowl Review: DOOMSDAY

Central Florida 34  Auburn 27.  In another amazing exhibition of Malzahn-ball the Auburn Tigers laid another huge egg to start 2018.  Auburn's huge wins over Georgia and Bama at home are not looking near as good after adding two awful performances to end the season to the two awful performances to begin the season.  Auburn won 10 games but lost four in excruciating fashion.  Of course it is a good season but the performances in the losses really make you scratch your head.  The main thread though that runs through all of them is what I have gone over time and time again on this blog and that is Auburn will never have a real passing game under Gus Malzahn.  I am just going to keep referencing my ultimate post after the LSU game this season in the future every time this happens.

Of course now I have to mention that it does not matter how bad Malzahn blows it anymore since we gave him his ridiculous new contract which basically makes him unfireable for a long time.  I will also continue to say I was totally against it.  Malzahn will continue to win more than he loses but he will lose at least three or four games this badly every season.  It is just downright depressing.  I can pretty much predict exactly what is going to happen next season just like the last two.  It is not because I have some unique insight, it is Gus freaking Malzahn!  He is as predictable as it gets and that is also the reason his offenses are just not that good anymore along with not being able to teach any modern passing principles.

THE GOOD
Frankly I cannot glean anything good from this bowl game.  We were mediocre to bad in every phase of the game.  None of the units on either side of the ball played particularly well.  Heck even Daniel Carlson missed a field goal on turf!  You knew it was not going to be a good day after that.  I guess the only good thing I can say is that bowl games outside the playoff are completely meaningless exhibitions.  That would be true if we stomped Central Florida.  This bowl game has no effect on next season.  I have seen Auburn win big bowl games and the next season was terrible and I have seen Auburn get blown out in bowl games and have a great next season.  It just does not matter.  It would have been much more enjoyable to win but it just does not matter either way.

THE BAD
I could elaborate but what is the point?  Stidham made some horrible throws.  Kerryon is still hurt.  We obviously have no other running backs.  The offensive line was terrible.  The receivers had a pretty good day especially Will Hastings but Stidham just made too many mistakes.  The defense was mediocre to bad all day.  I am so tired of hearing about how great Kevin Steele is.  He is a mediocre experienced defensive coordinator who had a very good veteran defense with good leadership and chemistry this season.  It was just a special defense and he was part of it but I do not think we will see one like it again during the Malzahn era.  Even with that said, the last two seasons the Auburn defense has struggled every time they played a good passing team and that continued today.

THE UGLY
I am writing this as the last semi-final game ends.  It is going to be Bama vs. Georgia for the national championship.  It is the DOOMSDAY scenario.  I mean how is this happening in a season WHEN AUBURN BEAT BOTH TEAMS??????!!!!!!?????  Again this could only happen to Auburn.  I mean this entire day in college football has made me physically sick.  We stink it up, Georgia pulls out a miracle and Bama wins big.  I am not sure how much more I can take.  I am fixing to go on a full sports media blackout.  I am going into a vault inside a bunker and am not coming out till I do not have to hear a word about this stupid championship game.  I want to watch the NFL playoffs but I am going to have be on guard. 

THE LAST WORD
I will remember the two big wins from this season but outside of that this is not a great team.  I definitely want to forget many parts of this season but it doesn't matter as it just mixes in with the dozen other horrific Malzahn losses.  It just all looks the same after awhile and now we have many more years of watching this same old shi*.  As I said in a previous post Malzahn should get at least 8 wins next season with the Missippi schools down and with Arkansas and Texas A&M rebuilding plus Tennessee rolling onto the schedule.  He will probably blow one of them though or lose to LSU, lay an egg against Washington to start the season and then of course lose to Georgia and Bama on the road as he has never beat them on the road and probably never will.  But hey I cannot wait to start another season back where this season died in nine months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment