Sunday, September 20, 2026

2026 GAME 3 REVIEW: WATERSHED

 
Florida 44  Auburn 39.  In a game that was not anywhere near as close as the score indicates the Florida Gators manhandled the Auburn Tigers for most of the night at Jordan Hare Stadium.  Jordan Hare Stadium.  A place that for so long was one of the hardest places to play for opposing teams.  A place that was host to so many legendary college football games.  A place once seemingly filled with magic and called "haunted" by one of the game's greatest coaches.  Unfortunately opposing teams no longer fear this place and many now count it as an automatic win.  The Auburn Tigers have not won a conference game in this great place since 2024.  

I wrote about Auburn's growing irrelevance last week but it really became official this week.  This game was really Auburn's one chance at a big win and a winning season.  Now as I feared after watching the level of this team against Baylor that chance is gone.  In fact while I would still favor Auburn next week against Vanderbilt at home, it is close especially after Vandy's big comeback win yesterday.  This game and performance also cemented that the Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and Samford home games appear to be this teams only chance at wins.  The rest of the games on the schedule (at Georgia, at Tennessee, at Ole Miss, at State, and at Bama) do not appear they will even be close.

Again as always I do not mean to disrespect or insult any players, I know these guys are working their butts off and they want to win.  I am just looking at the output of the different units and the team compared to other SEC teams and it is what it is.  I would not get upset if someone looked at my tennis schedule and evaluated me and my chances of winning if they knew my ability and all my opponents.  It is not rocket science and they would probably evaluate me compared to my opponents exactly right.  Unfortunately I look a lot like this Auburn team...  (-:  

The defensive performance last night was one of the worst in Auburn history and that is not an overstatement.  Florida punted ONE TIME the entire night and that is only because they got a delay penalty on a field goal attempt.  Florida rushed the ball for almost 250 yards and rolled up over 500 yards total offense possessing the ball for almost 40 minutes of the game.  The only reason the stats were not worse and Auburn lowered their average yards per carry is Florida went conservative to get the game over.  Conversely the only reason Auburn's point and offensive production look so good is Florida going conservative on defense late in the game.  

Byrum Brown is only successful when teams drop back deep and do not try to rush him.  He is deadly then but against any kind of pressure it usually goes bad.  His legs help him escape some of the time but not near enough.  He does not seem to process quickly but the bottom line is he does not look well coached.  You can tell players and units that are well coached and Auburn is not offensively.  The Auburn rushing attack outside of Brown was also a joke again as the Auburn offensive brain trust continues to try and run out of spread sets and a below average SEC offensive line.  The results are very predictable.  All of this has been obvious in all three games this year.

The best player on Auburn's offense is wide receiver Keyshawn Singleton but he is not near enough.  Also considering Auburn's current spot in the pecking order I am sure a better program will offer him more money and he will be moving on after this season.  I am simply shocked at the overall talent level of the Auburn football program.  Obviously the effect of four straight losing seasons is coming home to roost.  I think everyone was hoping Golesh could stop the bleeding but the talent level is now lower than during Harsin and Freeze's tenures and it looks like Auburn will have a worse record than at any time under those two bozos. 

We will know whether this season will be just be a really bad season or start competing with 2012 next week.  Auburn has to beat Vandy at home to stop this season from hitting another level.  I cannot believe it has come to this.  I knew we would not be great this season but even I am shocked at our offensive and defensive line talent level.  Florida absolutely mauled us on both sides of the line of scrimmage.  The lasting images of the night are some of the massive open holes Florida running back Jaden Baugh ran though and the replays of the Auburn right offensive guard just getting absolutely embarrassed multiple times.  It is bad folks, it is really bad.

I thought last nights game was a watershed moment in this season.  The word "watershed" is defined as: "a crucial dividing point, line, or factor : a turning point".  I think last night was a turning point for this season and unfortunately things went the wrong way.  Next week will be another huge turning point.  All of their warts notwithstanding this group of Auburn Tigers, coaches and players, have to make a stand next week.  It is a 100% must-win game or again things go to another level.  Auburn must make a stand.  They must stop this losing streak at home.  They must stop this losing streak to Vandy.  They must put everything and I mean everything into this upcoming game.

No comments:

Post a Comment