Monday, September 7, 2026

2026 GAME 1 REVIEW: STILL MISSING

This is an actual picture of a dominant Auburn left tackle

Auburn 17  Baylor 16.  The Alex Golesh era finally started in Atlanta with an ugly win over Baylor.  However it was a win and of course a win is always better than a loss.  As always the Auburn players worked extremely hard and played their guts out.  I am happy for them as they deserve some good things to happen for all the work they have put in this offseason.  I am happy for the fans that made the trip.  I still hate it they had to go to Atlanta for an Auburn HOME game (thanks John Cohen).  There were some bright moments like the two touchdown runs, the Bryce Cain reverse and the defense getting nine tackles for loss.  However, for me, overall the game was very unsettling.  Simply put, after an entire offseason of Alex Golesh pontificating and reading the homers I thought this team would be much better.

I know it is the first game and I know all the coach speak about the most improvement being between the first and second game but wow this Auburn team did not look very good.  They definitely will improve but how much?  Right now they look like a bottom third of the SEC team and I do not see them being able to improve much on that.  I do not think I had too high of expectations coming into the season and I guess there is still a decent chance Auburn could meet those expectations.  I was hoping Auburn would be able to beat Arkansas and Vandy at home plus State on the road and maybe beat Florida at home to give the Tigers their first winning season since the pandemic.  After watching the Baylor game I have to say the chances of this Auburn football team doing that are looking a lot lower to me.

I was shocked at how bad Auburn was on offense.  Auburn brought in a supposedly good SENIOR quarterback in Byrum Brown plus two of his offensive linemen and his three starting wide receivers from South Florida last year.  Auburn also brought in his head coach and his entire offensive coaching staff!!!  I understand all that South Florida coaching and playing talent struggling against say Georgia but Baylor???  I would think South Florida last year under Golesh would be on the level of Baylor.  I would think all these people coming to Auburn would be able to at least slightly improve their situation however that does not seem to be the case.  The offense just looked terrible most of the game outside a few big plays.  Brown just looked as slow as Christmas running and throwing.  

I wanted to start with the offense because that was the biggest shock and issue to me but let me real quick comment on the defense before going back to the offense.  The Auburn defense did not struggle like the offense and Brown certainly hurt them throwing three interceptions.  Auburn certainly will not win many SEC games turning the ball over like that.  The much hyped Auburn linebackers, edge rushers and safeties made some big plays but the line and secondary definitely struggled at times.  Baylor quarterback D.J. Lagway threw for over 300 yards with over 150 of it going to wide receiver Gavin Freeman including a long 4th down conversion where a stop wins the game.  The defense played good enough to beat Baylor but it looks like it will struggle against better SEC teams especially on the line.  

I am not criticizing the players.  I know the Auburn offensive and defensive linemen are some good guys that are working their butts off to be the best they can be for Auburn.  They are giving their blood, sweat, and tears for this team.  However when comparing them to the teams Auburn is going to play this season it just does not look good.  The defensive line looks noticeably weaker this season compared to last season and that does not bode well.  I hope I am wrong but I just do not think Baylor is very good especially with their quarterback playing on a hurt ankle the whole game.  I know the defense will improve but injuries are also just as likely.  The biggest problem is the defense has to get help from the offense with things like getting leads and time of possession and yeh that is going to be a problem.

So back to the offense and the biggest problem is Auburn could not run the ball consistently.  They finally wore Baylor down late but they were lucky it was Baylor and the score was still close scoring only ten points in three quarters. TEN POINTS IN THREE QUARTERS AGAINST BAYLOR.  Again with a SENIOR quarterback throwing to his same three wide receivers as last season being coached by his same head coach and entire offensive coaching staff.  Ten points in three quarters against Baylor after listening to Alex Golesh pontificate all off-season about how great Brown is and the importance of running the ball.  I mean I do not think I am out in left field here.  I do not think Baylor is a defensive juggernaut.  I just cannot believe how bad the Auburn offense was Saturday.

However I should have known better.  I should have known that changing coaches and quarterbacks will not matter until ONE THING is changed.  I am not sure what I was thinking since I wrote it in my last post after the Bama game last season talking about that game and Golesh coming in.  I am not patting myself on the back since the fact is obvious to most of us but I guess we all including me need to be reminded again.  Here are the facts that appear even truer today after the Baylor win than when I wrote them last season after Golesh was hired...

"The problem with this offense is you cannot build a team on wide receivers and that is what Hugh Freeze tried to do.  It will not work no matter who the coach is.  Derrick Nix did a great job, even with the horrendous start to the Iron Bowl, with this offense but the unit is fundamentally flawed.  The offensive line was better under him but they were still a BELOW AVERAGE SEC UNIT.  It is the most depressing part of this game and this season for me and it is the biggest question I have with the new coaching staff.  Auburn has not had a top SEC offensive line in ALMOST A DECADE now with NO END IN SIGHT.  After all the hoopla and the sunshine pumping sychophantic optimistic new coach blather I only have ONE QUESTION of Alex Golesh.  ONE.  Can he and his staff recruit and develop a top level SEC offensive line?  The years are going by...

Getting back to the theme of this post the only thing I care about is getting top offensive tackles.  CAN GOLESH BACK UP ALL HIS BRAVADO AND RECRUIT AND THEN DEVELOP SOME TOP OFFENSIVE TACKLES AND BUILD AN SEC GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE?  Right now that is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS.  This season and especially the Iron Bowl proved that it does not matter if you have a good quarterback, running back, and wide receivers if you do not have the offensive line.  You bring up a great Auburn football team and I will show you a great offensive line.  IT... IS... THE... ONLY... THING... THAT... MATTERS.  Auburn's football fortunes will not change regardless of the coach till this is done.  (Written December 6th 2025)"

It sure appears that nothing has changed in this area this season which spells doom for yet another Auburn season.  The statement continues to echo, Auburn's football fortunes will not change regardless of the coach till a good offensive line and especially the tackles are brought in.  It really is that big a deal folks.  Again name me a great Auburn team and I will show you a good offensive line led by a great left tackle.  1983 and Bo Jackson had Steve Wallace who would go on to block for Joe Montana  and win Super Bowls.  1993 Auburn went undefeated with Willie Anderson (pictured at start).  The great 2004 team had Marcus McNeil...  I could go on and on.  Also all of those guys had long NFL careers.  GOOD TEAMS HAVE GOOD TACKLES, GREAT TEAMS HAVE GREAT TACKLES.  It is just a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment